The chairs I keep walking away from.

This pile of wood seems harmless enough right?

Then I turned it in to this using these plans from Knock-offwood.com.I thought it turned out really cute... too small for my older boys and my little guy isn't quite big enough for it. And there it sat in the shop.

So after reading a post on the www.knock-offwood.com about how you shouldn't judge an unfinished project I got a little more engaged and built the chair a mate and primed them. Then I was stumped again on what color to paint them.

Then I painted them an oops paint green. (just ignore that little white part on the top... a little last minute adjustment never hurt anyone).


I wanted to distress them, so I did... now I'm back to not being happy with them. The white underneath just seems to stark with the sage-ish green. They are growing on me as I walk around them constantly but I may need to tweak something yet. Oh cute little Adirondack chairs... I'll figure you out yet. (also pictured is the pint size picnic table, it gets a coat of paint after vacation)

Lessons learned:

1) Finish a project before judging it
2) If you are going to modify a plan mid project either document it or make the pair together
3) Square. Square. Square.
4) Don't paint in the sun... you'll get bubbles
5) 1x2 seat slats don't need two screws and if you try you just might split a board ... or three.
6) When painting turn the project upside down and paint the bottom side first minus where the feet touch the ground then turn it right side up to finish painting without having to let it dry in the mean time. Come back to the "feet".
7) Unfinished projects don't go away.
8) Wipe away excess wax from the "wax" step of distressing.

1 comment:

  1. I love your Lessons Learned. They have alot of non-wood-working applications and show us your sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete